Friday, March 27, 2009

Penor Rinpoche has Passed Away


I am in shock.

His Holiness Penor Rinpoche has passed away at approximately 3:30 PM Indian Standard Time on 27 March 2009 at Columbia Asia Hospital, Bangalore. He was the Third Drubwang Pema Norbu Rinpoche, the Eleventh Throneholder of the Palyul Lineage, and a former Supreme Head of the Nyingma School.

He was also the Lama that first bestowed Pratimoksha, Bodhisattva, and Tantric Vows to me in Maryland at Kunzang Palyul Choeling. The Ratna Lingpa Vajrakilaya Sadhana is still my main Tantric practice. I am in a bit of shock. Though I havent seen him in years he was the kind of being that I took comfort in knowing was still walking the earth. 

Still gathering news but this Blog seems to have the best reporting thus far.

An interesting quote about Penors reuncarnation lineage:

"It is not uncommon for there to be a lengthy span of time between the death of a master and the appearance of his or her subsequent reincarnation. My own tulku lineage is an example of this. There was a 130 years hiatus between the death of the First Pema Norbu in 1757 and the birth of the Second Pema Norbu in 1887. This is common in all the traditions of Tibetan Buddhism. As for how these gaps come about, while tulkus are understood to have vowed to be continually reborn to help beings, it is not necessary for them to take rebirth in a continuous sequence of lives in this world. It is believed that they can be reborn in other world systems where they continue their compassionate activities, returning only later to this world system. This is how such lapses in tulku lineages are understood in Tibet."

I am really bummed about this. I wanted to go see him at least once more before he passed. No such luck. 

Rather than focus on the controversies and power struggles that are going to arise in the months ahead (say goodbye Jetsumna and Stephen Segal)  I will direct people to his bio here. 


6 comments:

Robert said...

I am sorry for your loss.

marshalduncan said...

Good riddance to the self-proclaimed "Jetsunma" and the shame she has brought to the lineage. I think it won't be long before we can say goodbye to the monsters she has created as well.

Jason Miller, said...

I hope you are right about that, but thats not what I focus on right now.

Anonymous said...

HH Penor had a warm presence and worked extremely hard at preserving his tradition.

I remember KPC nuns couldn't find the Palyul Dukar practice for a visiting lama, and two weeks later HH Penor had added the empowerment to his retreat schedule. Coincidence or response - I don't know, but it shows a quality. He was hard-working and dedicated.
I'm sorry for the loss.

Anonymous said...

Spiritual truth on my blog Window Mirror.

Personal announcement!

My Art:

http://screenfonds.blogspot.com/

My Poetry:

http://singleswingle.blogspot.com/

My Philosophy:

http://winmir.blogspot.com/

My photographies from Stockholm:

http://holmstock.blogspot.com/

- Peter Ingestad, Sweden

Jason Miller, said...

Krapelax,

I hope that this is spam you are sending out to everyone. Or do you think that commenting in a post about someone dying is the ideal place to leave ads?

Swine.