Thursday, January 7, 2010

Clarification on buying my books

One of the odd diilemas that one faces in the modern world is that not only can you get just about anything, but you can get it in multiple ways. Seeking to give me the greatest support possible with their purchase, many people have asked me how I prefer them to purchase my books. I figured that since I am now changing how people can access books through me, I would put out a list in order or preference. So here it is:

1. My favorite way to sell a book is for you to buy it at one of my events from me of the host. This way I get to meet you, and hopefully write something meaningful in the book for you. On the selfish side, I get more money this way, since you probably have paid to come hear me speak, and if you are purchasing the book from me, I am making the maximum amount per copy.

2. Realizing that most of my readers will not be able to do the above, the next best way is to purchase it from your local occult store or independent book seller. I get less money that way, but it is really important that physical locations like this stay in business. Besides, as I expand my reach and shift more and more to passive income, I may end up coming and lecturing there on a teaching tour in the future, so on the selfish side you are doing me a huge favor by supporting these places.

3. If you can't manage to find a new age, occult, or independent bookstore near enough to you, than the next best thing is to buy it from a big box bookstore. Not online, but an actual store. Again, I make less, and most likely I will never be lecturing at one of these places either. However, even these bog box stores are in danger. I currently live in a county in New Jersey that has no B&N or Borders. The only book store within 30 miles is Atlantic Books, and while they do carry my book (and have a small but surprisingly serious selection) its not really a place that you can spend and evening in. On the selfish side, if you buy my book off the shelf from one of these places, they will get more and more copies and sell them to people that do not have to be reached through this blog, or twitter, or fb, or a yahoogroup, or anything at all. never underestimate the advertizing power of having a book on the shelf.

I am a follower of this myself. I am buying the new expanded edition of the 4HWW at full price from a physical location even though Amazon has it at half the price with the discount. Thats how much I value having these places around to hang out in.

4. If you are hell bent on me getting the biggest cut of your purchase but cannot purchase from me directly, than click on one of the links that will soon be on the side bar of my blog and buy it through Amazon using me as the agent.

5. By any means necessary. There are no bad ways to buy my book. The above ways all have their advantages, but let me be clear: I am not telling you how to buy my book. I just want you to buy it, than read it, than use it to change your life for the better.


7 comments:

Qabalier said...

What about e-books? Will they be available for, say, the Amazon Kindle?

Rufus Opus said...

Well said.

Jason Miller, said...

Both of them are available on Kindle.

Morgan Drake Eckstein said...

As a writer, I love your list, and your reasons for arranging it the way you did.

C-Style said...

Yikes! Jason, I just bought Strategic Sorcery last night off Amazon...I will ask my local occult book store if they have Protection and Reversal Magic before purchasing it, next time.

Sorry!

Jason Miller, said...

C-Style, there is no bad way to buy my book, or anyone elses for that matter.

If you are used to shopping through amazon, than continue. If you linj to it through my blog, I get a commission.

Unknown said...

I don't think i'd want to live in a county without a B&N.... what a horrible thought....